Pycnogenol® is a registered trademark of Horphag Research Ltd. Every genuine unit of Pycnogenol® bears the registered trademark together with a description of its content. Users should be warned of misuse and imitators will be prosecuted.
Horphag has obtained and filed several U.S. and international patents.
Horphag Research Limited is the worldwide marketer and developer of Pycnogenol® brand French Maritime Pine Bark Extract. Horphag Research Limited is also the worldwide owner, directly or through sister companies (collectively “Horphag”), of the Pycnogenol® trademark and patents relating to antioxidant products, formulations and applications (uses) including those associated with Pycnogenol® pine bark extract. Horphag also owns trademarks for its distinctive Pine Tree Symbol, for Pyknogenol®, Pinogen®, Pinegenol®, Pycno®, Pycnol®, Pygenol®, Pinogyn®, Pinastus®, and trademarks that are foreign language transliterations. For example, in Chinese, Horphag owns the Bi Rong Jian (碧容健®) trademark and in Japanese Horphag owns (ピクノジェノール®). Some of Horphag’s trademarks are also used as trade names or incorporated into Internet domain names.
Without limitation, any trademark, trade name, or Internet domain name containing a word or formative such as PYCNO, PICNO, PYQNO, PIQNO, PYKNO or PIKNO is considered similar to Horphag's trademarks.
To maintain the good will and famous brand status of the trademark Pycnogenol®, Horphag requires that all those purchasing Pycnogenol® extract from Horphag agree to and comply with Horphag’s labeling requirements for products sold by them containing Pycnogenol® extract. To this end, Horphag has established labeling guidelines (the “Horphag Labeling Guidelines”) which must be adopted for finished goods containing Pycnogenol® pine bark extract.
Use of the Pycnogenol® trademark on finished goods to be ingested:
- Daily intake must contain a minimum of 20mg Pycnogenol® extract to use the Pycnogenol® trademark or logo on the front of the package in conjunction with or as a product name.
- The amount of Pycnogenol® per serving needs to be specified on the finished goods.
- Products that contain a daily intake having less than 20mg of Pycnogenol® content may only employ the Pycnogenol® trademark in the list of ingredients and cannot use Pycnogenol® in the product name.
- Products that contain less than 20mg of Pycnogenol® daily intake per unit dosage may not refer to Pycnogenol®’s health benefits as described in published research articles or any of Horphag’s marketing material.
- The products must comply at all times with the specifications and standard of quality prescribed by Horphag or approved from time to time by Horphag to maintain the efficacy of the trademark Pycnogenol®.
- The label must contain the line: Pycnogenol® is a registered trademark of Horphag Research Ltd. Use of this product may be protected by one or more U.S. patents and other international patents
Use of the Pycnogenol® Pine Tree Symbols
The Pine Tree Symbols are helpful to consumers trying to identify genuine Pycnogenol®. When used on the Company’s label, the following rules apply, in addition to the rules mentioned above under the title “Use of the Pycnogenol® trademark on finished goods”
The Pycnogenol® trademark must be followed by "®" in superscript
The Pine Tree Symbols are not to be distorted or contoured in any way
Logos can be downloaded here.
Neither the Pycnogenol® trademark nor the Pycnogenol® Pine Tree Symbols can be used for any purpose by Company unless a letter of Agreement is completed by Company and returned fully executed to Horphag.
Compliance with the Horphag’s Labeling Guidelines is mandatory and the failure to comply means that any use of Horphag’s trademarks is improper, unlicensed and likely infringing. Failure to sign and return and/or comply with our policy will also preclude Company from continuing to purchase Pycnogenol® extract from Horphag.
These guidelines does not constitute or convey any license or right under U.S. patent number 6,565,851 (relating to sexual wellness) and/or other international patents for which a separate license agreement(s) is required.
Finished products do not include Isotonic drink formulas unless separately and specifically authorized in writing by Horphag.
 U.S. patents 5,720,956; 6,372,266; 6,565,851 and other international patents